My Past and Current Relationship with Media

      Media is all around us. That being said, I didn't notice how media had molded my brain until years after it had already taken its effects. For better or for worse, media affects us all.
      I haven't found TV advertisements to be very instrumental in my views on any facet of life, as I have spent much of my life with only Netflix to feed my television addiction. This is a problem in itself, as it created a platform for me to watch hours and hours of television with no break. Shows like The Office and Parks and Recreation not only molded my sense of humor, but they also gave me exposure to language that eleven year-olds shouldn't necessarily be hearing in such a casual tone.
      As advertisements go, my television experience may have been limited, but I read plenty of magazines from the time I was very young. The women in my fashion magazines were perfect-skinned, stick skinny creatures, with enchantingly shiny hair. For years I looked in the mirror and all I could see looking back was a pimply, chubby-armed, frizzy-haired girl. I came to realize that was this was the advertiser's objective, and  I was able to get away from these ideals. No one truly looks like those women. They are the product of Photoshop; Something I didn't see until I stepped back to look at my relationship with ads.
     Now, I do consume media, as we all do. That being said, I take a minute to look a little bit closer at how I feel about the image being presented. I try not to simply blindly consume media, but consume it with my own judgment in place.

Comments